Occupy Has a Simple Message: “The system is broken and is grossly unfair.”

In a letter to the Pennlive Editor, McCartney wrote "The protesters need to wake up and smell the money." Chris Butcher sets the record straight with this brilliant response.

Read McCartney's letter and read Butcher's response. Also, help the cause by writing your own letter to the editor.

I write in response to Mr. Bob McCartney's letter (Oct. 16), "Protesters need to wake up and earn their own way." I do not speak for Occupy Wall Street or Occupy Harrisburg, but Mr. McCartney obviously misses the real and simple message of this movement: The system is broken and is grossly unfair.

Mr. McCartney alleges that the "occupiers" are unprepared or unskilled for life, which causes their frustration, leading to protest. In fact, the protesters in New York and locally span all generations, incomes, professions, beliefs, races and ages. If Mr. McCartney had only visited Occupy Harrisburg and spoken to the protesters, as I did, he would know this.

Mr. McCartney says "America is a capitalistic society"; but what kind of capitalistic society? Here in Pennsylvania, income growth by the top 1 percent exceeded the combined growth of the other 99 percent during the last decade. This "capitalistic society" has 14 million unemployed, 45.5 million on food stamps, 50 million without health insurance and has seen the decline of real wages for the bottom 80 percent.

Mr. McCartney says, " ... wake up and smell the money." We have. And from Wall Street to State Street, it stinks. That is why the Occupy movement grows stronger every day.

Author - Chris Butcher

Occupy Harrisburg would like to thank PennLive.com for publishing this letter and their continued coverage of Occupy Harrisburg Events.

Comment Using Facebook

Powered by Facebook Comments

This entry was posted in Latest News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Occupy Has a Simple Message: “The system is broken and is grossly unfair.”

  1. Steve Long says:

    Thank you for posting links to those two letters. Let me just say that Mr. McCartney’s letter not only blatantly shows his ignorance about the what the Occupy Movement is about, it also shows that he has no idea about how the supposed “capitalistic” system in America works. It is not the capitalist system Adam Smith envisioned in which everyone would have an opportunity to excel by their own creative efforts in a market driven society. No, what we have is crony capitalism that fuels an empire and creates an plutocracy that marginalizes the 99%. Also, McCartney’s letter had the very tone of anger that so many accuse, falsely I believe, the Occupy movement of having. Why are you so angry Mr. McCartney if this system is working so well for you?

    In complete contrast, Mr. Butcher’s letter was informed and lacking any angry emotion. He took the time to meet with us and to understand our grievances. He also seems to have educated himself on just how this repugnant system works. While Mr. McCartney’s letter was nothing but a rant with collective character assassinations of people he has not taken the time to meet, Mr. Butcher’s letter was a calm, articulate voice of reason. I have enough faith in the intelligence of people that they will read both letters and know which one shed light and which one was just heat.

Comment Using Site

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>