Occupy Harrisburg GA Notes 4/1/12
Gate Keeper - Sue
Group started with introductions as we had some new faces. We had an informal session on the hand signals, process and protocol.
- Workgroup Review
- Facilitation – meets at 7 pm at the Capitol steps on Wednesdays.
- PR – announced a re-focus of efforts for the near future. New fliers have been placed at the steps.
- Health and Safety – no update
- Finance – a meeting should happen soon to determine what our needs are and how to best allocate funds. Darryl states donations have been down for the last few weeks. The finance team will meet at the CA on Weds.
- Garden – fill and mulch is accumulating and the group has some garden starts. Also a reminder that there is a facebook page in use.
- Mission Statement – Nelson has received a lot of feedback and several contributions for a mission statement. Next meeting after 7 at the Weds. CA
- Local Issues – on the fourth of April we will have the opportunity to see an audit at 10 am in the East Room of the Capital. Jackie will send an email out to the group with additional information.
- Events and Support – A reminder that we have a google document. Occupy created events that are being worked on:
- April 15th - 6 months anniversary. More discussion on this proposal later in the GA.
- May 1st general strike
- May 7th EQAT support – we want to show and recommend a documentary that ties into the EQAT walk. The Last Mountain details the perils of mountain top removal, why you should care and offers insight into the issue. OH will offer housing and food to the EQAT walkers with a potluck on Monday.
- Sat. April 14th The Friends Meeting House presents a Climate Reality Project and Climate Change presentation by Richard Whiteford at 7:15 pm preceded by a potluck dinner at 6. Melissa will email the information to the Google group.
- Steps – developing a social contract. It’s recommended that anyone who works the steps be involved in developing this social contract which will be a way to mediate and promote healthy behavior and respect. This can be viewed as a Code of Conduct.
Darryl added that if water is short to let him know. There should always be 2 jugs of water, preferably not tap water.
Hospitality – Planning drum circles, face painting station and an actual tea party. This will be happening every week on the steps and the people’s park. From 5 to 7 on Saturday we will also have Open mic. There is an upcoming unscheduled vegan breakfast. A speaker proposed theatre and the group showed interest.
Paradigm Shift – met at the steps on Weds. This group covers all type of oppression. We had a group of Occupiers who participated in the local Trayvon Martin March. If interested in attending meetings let Sue know and she will alert you of the next meeting. They will have a presence at the next CA at 7 on Weds.
There is an upcoming rally on Womens Rights at the Capitol steps from 10-2 on April 28th. She urges supporting attendance.
Changing Time and Location of GA:
No one voiced an issue with changing location but there was discussion on frequency. Darryl suggested that we have one GA a week at 5 pm. Josh suggested 2 and keeping the CA as well adding a Thurs or Friday GA. Karl suggested a 2 am GA and a Thursday GA at 7. Josh feels that if we keep good notes, more GA’s can take place and keep everyone involved. Marie feels that two meetings a week are good. Bob feels we need less meetings and more action. Sue would like to suggest that anytime 4 Occupiers are together an ad hoc meeting can take place. Nelson stated that if we push the Sunday GA time back any further less people have an opportunity to attend. Consensus was agreed that we can hold a GA at the steps at 2 pm but keep the Friends House in case of inclement weather. Melissa stated that we need a designated door opener in case she can’t be here.
Tents on River Front April 15th (6 month celebration):
This is a one day event. Tents will be put up and taken down the same day. Nelson thinks it’s a good idea to find out ahead of time to what extent we are dedicated to taking tents down or keeping them up. Karl suggested we discuss loss and gain. Josh would like to see riverfront re-occupied but doesn’t think we have the manpower. There was some concern about the living tents being used. Darryl clarified what we gain. We get new tents, not ones currently occupied to place at riverfront to alert the public that we have not gone away. He thinks this can set a stage for later Occupy actions and outreach. Melissa agreed that the tents were to be symbolic to the public. All agreed that this should be a family friendly event with each tent having a purpose such as art, music or face painting. Sue suggested that we create tent monsters for levity. The group signaled their approval. She also proposed we have a working group to meet within 48 hours to plan this event. Pam reminded us that if we try to permanently occupy within the next two weeks we will be removed because of upcoming riverfront festivals. Karl needs 7 actors for his play. Darryl suggested that we put out fliers that Occupy does not support an occupation past 10 pm so that as a group our stance is clear. Jackie has the basics of this on a flier that can be finished to this effect. Another speaker suggested we get a permit for that day if possible. Darryl stated he is against getting a permit to be where we should be able to be anyway. He normally would alert the authorities on what we plan to do. Darryl will be the lead. The group agreed that tents will go up on the 15th. A work group will take over the planning with a meeting before the Wednesday CA. Several people volunteered to meet after the GA today with another meeting possibly Tuesday. Plans will be taken to the Weds. CA for further discussion and planning.
Marie made an announcement that she has things in her garage from the group that need removed.
May 1st Action:
The Service Union has asked for OH support in an upcoming action. May first is international workers day. There was discussion about what this day’s action would be and what we want to do. Karl thought that it was his understanding that it’s a day of doing nothing. Brett provided further background and suggested a worker’s party on the steps or shutting down a selected business. Group decided to defer to next week.
Social Contract Review and Steps Group involvement:
D.C. code of Conduct was read by Darryl. It contained several similar points of concern that were the catalyst for our proposed Social Contract. The group had no issues with D.C. Code of Conduct. A lively discussion ensued. Personal view statements were plentiful. Darryl stated that he had a conversation with D.C. on this issue and they have a de-escalation team. A question was asked how this was being handled now. One of the attendees stated that the issues were continuing as of today and should be addressed today. The group continued discussion on what violated our proposed conduct. Nelson said this extends to facebook too. Karl stated that what we are talking about is far beyond facebook. Jackie let the group know that the police have taken action and this reflects badly on OH. Sue stated that in a horizontal movement with no leaders we don’t have any teeth and asked what the solution could be. The question was asked if we move the living tent would the individual treat the steps with more respect. Discussion on a possible intervention went back and forth, with a suggestion of an intervention that couldn’t be avoided. Another speaker suggested that shunning be used until we have his attention and understanding of what is expected. An idea was proposed that specific steps be outlined so they know what is expected. Others in the group stated shunning has been tried and didn’t work. More lively discussion ensued on how best to proceed with Nelson asking the group if everyone is OK with our ideas being applied to each of us. The group had further discussion on having a professional apply their skills to this problem. Marie voiced a concern that code of conduct is arbitrarily applied and may mean something to different people. Jackie presented other supporting information for the group to consider. Sue made a proposal that men only do an intervention at the end of this meeting. Another speaker clarified where we could move the living tent. Another speaker urged that we take this more seriously and pull the tent today. Some of the women felt that we, as women, are not being taken seriously and our points of view and discomfort are being overlooked. Without a code of conduct we can’t propose next steps but can take immediate action. Further discussion was offered about what will happen if we take back the tent. A concern is that the tent is symbolic and should stay where it is. Bob stated that since so many women feel disrespected and we are still discussing the issue this is a problem. Melissa urged that if the tent is removed the individual not show up at the Friends Meeting House. Another speaker said we need to do something today. Carol urged a restraining order in considering there is a daycare here. Melissa said that Friends expects Occupy to handle these types of issues. The group finally agreed to send a group of men with Jose agreeing to speak and that we simply tell him he can’t have the tent, remove it and convey our concerns that his actions are not acceptable. This is our proposal and the group agreed.
Darryl shared early April is Barbara VanHorn’s hearing and he urged that OH show our support. Darryl will send out the information. Anyone attending should meet at the steps at 9 am on April 9th.
Brett shared that Verizon might strike again.
Comments were offered by attendees that they were glad to attend this meeting.
The CA held last week was enjoyed by many.
public google group open to all members of Occupy
Harrisburg for open discussion of topics, issues, and long-term goals
of and related to Occupy Harrisburg.
Join here: http://groups.google.com/group/ohbg-general-discussion
Comment Using Facebook
Powered by Facebook Comments